Monday, November 19, 2007

The Legend of the Dancing Goats


After reading in my 4-H coffee book I learned a strange fable about coffee. It goes:

One day a Shepard named Tom (I couldn't remember his name so I named him Tom.) and his flock of goats went up a hill. Tom accidentally fell asleep, it had been a long day for him. When he woke up, his goats were by a strange plant with red berries on it! That wasn't all, they were dancing! Tom ate some of the strange red berries too. Then he had to dance! By and by a monk came and saw the shepard and his goats dancing. He also saw the red fruit. The monk took the seeds of the strange fruit and made the first cup of coffee with it. Now the monks never fall asleep while reverencing God.

*The man who wrote the book I got the fable out of said he couldn't get goats to eat the fruit of the coffee plat, but some like the leaves of the plant.

*Coffee beans are the twin seeds of a plant. They are inside a red or yellow fruit that grows on this plant.

1 comment:

My Storey said...

Chloe, I liked the story of the dancing goats. You did a good job writing about the goats and the coffee plant. I am sure you will be a writer some day. Maybe you will write a series of books and become the richest woman in the world. Think of all the good you could do with all that money.